Friday, April 5, 2013

Did we time travel when I wasn't looking?

So it wasn't enough for the feminist housewife article. Now anyone (woman because we all care about the rings!!!!111) who gets married past 23 is suspect and secretly an old maid.

This is why we can't have nice things.

The author states:

"I started out thinking this way, too. When I was entering college, my philosophy was “men die, but your college degree is forever.” I imagined myself an independent, spirited sort of woman. I wrote off the girls I knew from high school in Texas who didn’t finish college or who selected their universities based on their boyfriends’ plans. Getting a “ring by spring” was nice, I supposed, but it wasn’t a grand achievement. Getting a 4.0—now we were talking."

Cause, ya know, can't have an education/career/life because all that matters is trapping...err catching a man and getting that huge rock that is promised by Tiffany's.

Ahem.

I get it, marriage is a good thing to have....IF YOU WANT IT. Not everyone wants it or can legally attain it. And even the title, I got married at 23. What are the rest of you waiting for? is completely smug and condescending. I say this as someone who did marry at 23. It was the right choice for me, but not for everyone. Nor should it be. We are not all going to reach the same milestones at the same time as everyone else.


"That said, while I wouldn’t have said it exactly the way she chose, I think Susan Patton is basically right: people should be looking to get married as early as possible."

Why? Do we turn into unicorns if we don't get mated up by a deadline? Honestly, what the fuck?


It would be one thing if this advice was directed at the entire population, but it's only toward females, in search of a husband. And that's the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment