Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Abortion Ban & Miscarriage

I was just shy of six weeks pregnant (first few weeks you aren't technically, since they base the due date on the day of your last period) when I started spotting and eventually miscarried.

Steve King put forth HR 490, which states "that an abortion provider 'who knowingly performs an abortion and thereby kills a human fetus' without determining a heartbeat, informing the patient of a heartbeat, or proceeding regardless of a heartbeat would face fines and up to five years in prison. The bill includes limited exceptions for the physical health of the pregnant person but not for 'psychological or emotional conditions.'"

The sesame seed (the size of the clump of cells I hoped would eventually yield the newest member of our family) that grew for a short while inside me would have been deemed a baby and thus protected by this sexist bill. Yes, this eventual child was very much wanted, but what about for the person who was pregnant and didn't want to be, for a variety of reasons?

People who can bear children across the US have told, wrote and shared their stories about abortions, wanted children and everything in between. But the sad fact is that many Republicans in Congress just don't care. They don't care about people who bear children being seen as people with complex lives. They are forced birthers and while Planned Parenthood does amazing, life saving work beyond abortions, I, for one, think we should stop minimizing abortions.

Abortions are safe medical procedures that many people have. I know four people in my close community that have had them. And there is nothing wrong about them. I don't give a good goddamn why someone has an abortion; if they feel incapable of caring for a child, then why do I care if they have an abortion?

Abortion without apology. It's a perfectly legitimate procedure and I'm beyond tired of seeing it demonized.

No comments:

Post a Comment