Monday, August 10, 2015



The above passage is from The Captivated Issue of Cottage Hill, a lovely magazine that debuted this year.

As mentioned, this year has been about decluttering my life, not just possessions, but social media feeds, old files saved on my hard-drive, etc, but it has also been about quality. I make conscious decisions to put down my phone while riding in the car with my husband and just sit with him. I put my phone down to fully enjoy my bedtime routine, which involves reading from an actual book.

The author is right; it's become too easy to stage the picture or life simply for the likes. I want to actively avoid that. I want to savor the small moments, even if they aren't instagramable.

Happily, Lara Casey agrees.

Living on purpose means making intentional decisions to live out what's most important to you. It takes doing something that is completely counterintuitive when you are super busy: embracing imperfect. It means letting some things go and letting yourself make a mess. Maybe your laundry won't get done or you won't go to that networking event, but your kids will be loved on or you will have time to sit and have an undistracted dinner with your husband. Maybe you'll step outside and go to the park instead of working through lunch at your desk, feeling drained. Maybe your work will be more productive and purpose-filled because you got some fresh air. Maybe you'll finally do that thing that's been weighing on you or encourage a friend. Maybe you'll make her day : )

Busy is the enemy of peace. Busy is not productive in the big picture. Busy means life's unexpected joys and surprises can't find a way into our lives because we're moving too fast to see and experience them. I don't know about you, but I don't want to move so fast that I miss my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment