Thursday, April 11, 2013

Welcome to the wildlife in my backyard

We were first made aware of Mortimer's presence when our realtor arrived on inspection day and sent us a picture of his furry behind sitting next to our porch.

We figured he would hightail once people started inhabiting the house and we ended up ignoring him for the most part. But when I would set food out for the stray cats in our neighborhood, I realized I was feeding the darned groundhog. We thought he was a gopher at first, hence his name (Goucher, represent!) but he is definitely a groundhog and a very intrusive one at that. He harasses the rest of the critters in our backyard, will leap up onto tables if I try to set food out and generally make a nusiance out of himself. He is also, completely uncaring of us. The hubs came home early the one day and found the furry varmint stretched out on his back, sunning his stomach. No amount of yelling would get him to move and he only lazily got up after the hubs walked outside.

This morning, however, it went to another level. I was leaving the house at around 7:30 and decided to be fancy today and so was wearing three inch heels. I was halfway to my car when Mortimer tore around the corner of the house and dove under the porch. I have no idea what scared him, but I know that I almost redecorated the gutters with my head.

As cute and furry as he is, he needs to go. I don't want to kill him, but does anyone know of a good groundhog sanctuary where I might send him? My in laws have a live trap that we are going to borrow so I just need to send him to a place where he will be happier and not scaring the bejesus out of me before eight am.

 
You can see him at the edge of the table, beelining for the cat food.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with that!! I've never used live traps (or any traps) with animals, but I'm sure you can find a good place for him. It reminds me of this Australian children's book "Diary of a Wombat." I laugh, but it's probably because I'm not living with him...

    ReplyDelete