Friday, November 5, 2010

Name-calling

Love this

I admit, I've been guilty of the judgey eye toward some former classmates who have recently gotten hitched. It bothered me that it was automatic, the name changing. I actively questioned every wedding/marriage tradition but I know that not everyone does that and I shouldn't put that on anyone but me. And I could have fit on this list: my father is horribly abusive and my husband wanted us to have the same name, for the unity of family and all.

But I've been published with my name, my father doesn't turn my last name into a sour apple simply because he's awful (I may actually be related to Albert Schweitzer and I would love to celebrate that if I were), I would worry my married name would sound like a children's book and I just like my last name. It's unusual. It's who I've been for the past twenty-four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment